Monday, April 23, 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe
Author- Beth Revis
Published- January 11th, 2011
Razorbill
416 pages
Obtained from the library

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.--Goodreads


Oh my goodness y'all! This book was frexing amazing! It is so unique and so beautifully written that it sucked me right in from page one!

First off, the cover. When I first glanced at the cover I thought I was seeing some weird black hole thingy on the cover. When I looked closed though, I saw that the black parts were actually people. I found the cover very pretty and neat looking. It describes the book well.

The story begins in the past. On the first page, one of the characters named Amy is with her parents, ready to be frozen for their trip to a planet that supposedly supports human life. When they arrive, they will be unfrozen and continue their life on the new planet. I found this concept very neat. I have never read a book about space travel. The fact that this books pulls in both science fiction, romance, and dystopian elements is a bonus for me.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the romance between Elder and Amy. I found Elder as such a swoon-worthy character. He is quiet yet totally romantic. I love a guy that takes risk. He has the guts to stand up to Eldest and I appreciated that.

Amy, the other hand, was just an OK character. Yes, she was unfrozen prematurely, but she doesn't need to act all whiny about it. I mean, yeah, I would be worried about my parents too, but not like she did. I guess I just got frustrated with her. She did get better towards the end.

By the end of the book I was excited to see what would happen next. I knew there would be a cliffhanger ahead of time, so I was prepared. I think Ms. Revis did a great job of leaving the ending wide open for the next book. I am glad to say that I have the next book in my pile, so I will be getting to that soon.

Overall, I thought this book was fabulous. Great world-building and conflicts. I found myself getting angry and sad along with the characters. I mean, who wants to live in a metal box for their whole lives? Not me! I am excited to find out what Elder and Amy do next. I will be getting to A Million Suns VERY soon!

I will be giving this book 4 stars!




-McKenna :)
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design