Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BBAW Interview Swap: Beth from Yes, folks. I run like a girl.

Hi everyone! Today I had the pleasure to interview Beth from Yes, folks. I run like a girl. as part of Book Blogger Appreciation Week!


Please introduce yourself-

I'm Beth, and I wear many hats: I'm a college instructor, a runner, a frequent flier, a data geek, a cook, a problem solver, and I'm a voracious reader. I blog at "yes, folks. i run like a girl." I also write for Examiner.com.

What made you want to start a blog?

After 10 years of living in Southern California, I picked up and moved to the South (Pensacola, Florida, to be exact). I wanted to document my experiences in moving, and I also had a lot of free time on my hands when I first moved because I didn't know anyone yet!

What is your favorite genre to read?

I used to be a fiction junkie, reading almost every book by Isabel Allende and almost all of Stephen King's early work. But as I've gotten older I've fallen in love with non-fiction. I particularly like historical/biographical non-fiction. 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt got me hooked on biography. I also really enjoyed 'Dearest Friend: The Life of Abigail Adams' and 'Long Walk to Freedom' which is Nelson Mandela's autobiography.

I see you love to run! What has been your favorite race to run so far?

I really loved the Gulf Coast half marathon in Gulf Shores, AL last winter. The race only had about 400 people, the course was beautiful - winding through a park that took us past the beach and through marshes - and the food and festivities after the race were spectacular. The race was hosted at a place called Lulu's Home Port. Lulu, the owner, is Jimmy Buffett's sister and man can she throw a party! There was live music, comfortable seating, and plenty of good food. (Of course I love running, but being able to kick back and relax after the race is part of the fun!)

Besides running do you have any other hobbies?

Does reading count as another hobby? In all seriousness, when I'm not reading, running, or working, I travel as far and as often as I can. Some days that means visiting a nearby state park or historic site I haven't been to before, some days it means flying hundreds of miles to explore a new city. So if "travel" counts as a hobby, it's my favorite one!

I also love food. I enjoy both cooking and trying unique local dishes on my travels. Some of my favorite books have been food histories, like "Hungry Town: A Culinary History of New Orleans, the City Where Food is Almost Everything." That book captured many of my passions under one cover: travel, culture, and cooking... if there had just been a section on running, it would have been perfect!

Favorites Round

Food- Peanut butter!
Song- My taste in music depends on my mood and what I'm doing. I have a huge collection of hip hop and techno for running. Arcade Fire, Florence + The Machine, and The Black Keys are on repeat on my iPod. I also love blues, big band jazz, and zydeco, and I go to the symphony a couple of times a year... So I really do listen to a little bit of everything! But if I had to pick just one song, U2's Beautiful Day always makes me happy.
Movie- Honestly, I know this is going to sound sad, but I don't have a favorite movie! One movie I'll watch over and over again is the Batman movie 'The Dark Knight.' Loved that one!
Color- Red
Actor/ Actress- I don't watch enough movies or T.V. to have a strong favorite, but I really like Tina Fey. A friend gave me a copy of Bossypants for my birthday, and I can't wait to start reading it!

It was so awesome to get to know you Beth! I love to cook also, and Tina Fey totally rocks!

You guys can catch Beth over at her blog, Twitter , Pinterest , Facebook and StumbleUpon !
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design