Monday, September 3, 2012

Decatur Book Festival- Recap




Hi everyone! I attended the Decatur Book Festival last Saturday, so now I am sharing with you my haul along with the pictures I took with all of the authors.
 
I had an awesome time, but Georgia decided to unleash its deadly heat/humidity combination. I was a pool of sweat most of the day, but thank goodness for the air conditioning (when I could get to it!).

The festival started around 10 AM, and the first event I attended was a Meet Up/ Q&A Session with Meg Cabot. Meg was absolutely hilarious and she had everyone in fits of laughter. We got a few tid bits about her upcoming works and future projects. Then I stood in an hour long line to get my books signed! It didn't really start heating up until noon, so I still look presentable in this picture...trust me, it gets worse.

Then I headed over to the Teen Stage where I hung out for the rest of the day. We had some great authors presenting, so there was no where I would rather have been!

My mom and I stopped in for a quick lunch at Sammiches (I had a delicious Reuben!) which was right by the stage, then we ventured out of the AC to hear the authors speak.

David Levithan presented first. He was absolutely hilarious in his quirky way. He read a little bit of Every Day and the time he talked flew by so fast. By the end my mom even wanted to read Every Day! Luckily I had bought a copy of the book before the event started because when it came to signing time they were all sold out! Oh, and I absolutely love how he signed my book!

By then we were scorching and had some time to kill, so we popped into FroYoLo to get some frozen yogurt and cool down. It was delicious!

After that it was time to head back and see Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl present. They were fantastic (and crazy!). We got to know a lot about the upcoming Beautiful Creatures movie and how they came to become a writing team. Once they finished up it was a mad dash to the signing booth! Example A of the terrible sweaty mess pictures. I even caught Margaret as she was saying "I'm blind!"..haha

After that we had about an hour to kill, so we decided to just walk around and see what was going on. We popped in the Little Shop of Stories, this adorable indie bookstore in downtown Decatur. Then we stopped by a few artsy boutiques. I found this little deer head flower pot that was so adorable and I snapped a picture to show my dad (who just happens to be a hunter- poor Bambi :(


Finally, around 4 PM, Neal Shusterman spoke. He talked a lot about his inspiration behind Unwind (current news in England, abortion laws, etc.) and he read a little bit of UnWholly. By then we were all so tired there wasn't much of a mad dash to the signing line....more like a slow ambling. Neal was so nice and he even gave out signed posters for the Skinjacker Trilogy! Oh, and he warned me try and stay whole. I'll try Neal!

I had an awesome time, but I'm not sure if I would have been able to go back on Sunday, even if I wanted to! I couldn't wait to shower and put my feet up! I am really excited to go next year! Hopefully it is as fabulous as this years event was!

I hope y'all had a great Labor Day weekend!
 

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design