Thursday, September 13, 2012

Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate

Eve and Adam
Authors- Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Releases on- October 2nd, 2012
Feiwel and Friends
304 pages
Provided by Netgalley

Sixteen-year-old Evening Spiker lives an affluent life in San Francisco with her mother, EmmaRose, a successful geneticist and owner of Spiker Biotech. Sure, Evening misses her father who died mysteriously, but she’s never really questioned it. Much like how she’s never stopped to think how off it is that she’s never been sick. That is, until she’s struck by a car and is exposed to extensive injuries. Injuries that seem to be healing faster than physically possible.

While recuperating in Spiker Biotech’s lush facilities, she meets Solo Plissken, a very attractive, if off-putting boy her age who spent his life at Spiker Biotech. Like Evening, he’s never questioned anything... until now. Solo drops hints to Evening that something isn’t right, and Emma-Rose may be behind it. Evening puts this out of her mind and begins her summer internship project: To simulate the creation of the perfect boy. With the help of Solo, Evening uncovers secrets so big they could change the world completely.
 
So I finished up Eve and Adam late last night and I have to say I am a tad bit unimpressed. I had my hopes up so high just because *OMG, Michael Grant wrote the book!* I should learn to turn a blind eye to authors and covers. They always seem to get me into trouble.

The quality that first attracted me to this book was, of course, the cover. I know, the first thing they always tell you. DON'T judge a book by its cover. Well, I did... I totally fell in love with this cover. I just love the colors and the sci-fi feel!

Then I read the synopsis....talk about hook, line and sinker. From that point I knew this had to be moved up past all of my other TBR books!

But, when I cracked open the book (or in my case, clicked on the cover) and started to read, my expectations took a nosedive...fast. You know those books that you open the cover and immediately get the I'm-going-to-absolutely-love-this-book vibe. Yep, didn't happen to me. I felt unwelcome if that makes any sense. Partly due to the characters and partly due to other miscellaneous things that just irked me.

I really, really did not like Evening. Firstly, he name drives me crazy! Who the heck names their kid Evening?! Her nicknames weren't much better. E.V. made me think of E.T. (I so didn't want to be thinking of an extraterrestrial creature while reading a book!) and Eve made me think of Adam and Eve! Besides her name, I found her so difficult to connect with. Her emotions were always changing and she was so influenced by others that she hardly counted as a person.

Solo was OK. Not fantastic and at times he was a little jerky. But, when he actually decided to show compassion I really enjoyed his character! Aislin (how the heck do you even say her name?) was a pretty bland character also. She played the standard my-boyfriend-has-so-many-flaws-but-I-still-love-him type of girl. I'm not one to be attached to someone like she was, so she bothered me. The only character I even remotely liked was Adam and he wasn't even a real, legal human!

The plot, it was OK. It was a tad bit slow for my liking and not much really happened. I wasn't really shocked by any of the twists, nor was I connected to anything about the story.

The end definitely held 95% of the action. I really enjoyed the last 50 pages, but I still couldn't fully enjoy them because none of the characters really held a connection with me. And, the end was a bit weird. I really feel like the ending was cut off funny. I'm not sure if the books will continue as a series or as a standalone.

Oh, and the book is marketed as a dystopian, but I really didn't find a dystopian feel. It was more of a mad scientist/ Frankenstein type of book.

Overall, Eve and Adam was just OK. I found the characters difficult to connect to and the plot be be boring. The book lacked a little in the action area also. I'm not really sure if I will be continuing with this series if there is one.
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design