Thursday, September 20, 2012

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Incarnate
Author- Jodi Meadows
Published- January 31st, 2012
Katherine Tegen Books
374 pages
Obtained from PBS

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

 
I finished up Incarnate Sunday night, and I must say that I have definitely never read a book quite like it. I can see how it can be such and odd ball that it is a turn off. I, for one, really enjoyed it!

The obvious thing that first attracted me to this book was of course, the cover. Talk about gorgeous! The colors are awesome and the face is so captivating to look at!

I really enjoyed learning about the world that Incarnate was set in, it seemed to be very intricate and well thought out, but I did feel like the book was missing a few details that I feel would have made the story more enjoyable. What caused there to be only 1 million people? What caused the hatred between sylph, dragons and people? What happened to the people that used to live in Heart? I felt like a lot of my questions went unanswered.

I also felt the characters were flat. Ana showed little to no emotion and I had a really hard time trying to get into her head and get to know her. Sam was a tad bit better. I at least was able to connect on a small level with him and understand him. The romance was cute between him and Ana, but by all means it was not the best or most heart pounding romance I have read.

There was definitely no doubt that there was action though. Dragons attacked left and right, people went on killing sprees and Ana had to run for her life. I really enjoyed the more action packed parts of the book. There was no lack of excitement. Overall though, the plot dragged and there were many slow parts in the books that I was trudging through.

But, once I got past the fact that the book dragged AND had flat characters AND was missing major details, I really enjoyed it. Once I looked past all of the flaws I actually found Incarnate to be a real page turner.

Overall, I enjoyed Incarnate. The bones of the story were great, I just think the story could have been better executed. The characters fell a little flat, the plot dragged in places and the world was ill explained. I will for sure be continuing with the series though. I am hoping that all of my questions are answered when I read Asunder!

 
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design