Thursday, June 28, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

Legend
Author- Marie Lu
Published- November 29th, 2011
Putnam Juvenile
305 pages
Obtained from the library

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.--Goodreads


I have added another Dystopian to the list for this year! I think this is quickly becoming my favorite YA sub genre. This book very much reminded me of a mixture of The Hunger Games society mixed with The Way We Fall's plague. I liked both books, so I was pretty sure this book would be a winner.

The cover of this book is interesting. I'm assuming that is the Republic symbol, which is cool and all, but at the same time the cover is not a check-me-out-I-look-cool type of cover. I'm not really a fan of mixing silver and gold either.

I love how this book is written in dual POV. I loved getting to know Day and June on a individual basis instead of hearing just one characters perspective.

I really think that the premise that brings June and Day together was really neat. I'm not really sure I would act like June did if Day killed my brother. I often wondered during the book what each person would be like if they were raised in each others situations. Would June still be a super prodigy and be high in the military? Would day still become a criminal?

I really liked both characters. June was just a plain old kick butt character, which for the record are my favorite characters! She was brave and never afraid to fight to fight for what she believed in. Day was very similar in the sense that he was just a rough and tough type of guy just living his life. I loved the vulnerable side that he showed. I can't imagine having to pretend I was dead to protect my family!

I thought the romance between Day and June was very cute and appropriate for the situation they were in. I mean, it wouldn't be believable if the romance was intense while June new Day was her brothers murderer. in my opinion. I think the romance in this book was just meant to be a teaser for what will come in the next book.

One thing that I though was weird/ interesting about this book were the different font and colors that each characters point of view was written in. I actually really liked the use of gold ink for Day's POV. I thought it was very unique and not something you see everyday.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I liked getting to know both characters and spending their lives with them. The book was a great fast paced, interesting novel that I totally recommend! I cant wait to read Prodigy!

I will be giving this book four stars!



 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design