Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Death Cure by James Dashner

The Death Cure
Author- James Dashner
Published- October 11th, 2011
Delacorte Books for Young Readers
325 pages
Obtained from the library

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?--Goodreads

So, I'm trying to write this review and make it sound like it was actually OK, but it's hard. So I'm just going to express my thoughts and hope you guys get the gist of it.

As always, this is the 3rd book in the trilogy. There could/ will be spoilers!

So first, the cover. The cover was one of the few things I thought were OK about the book. I felt like the theme is continued throughout the trilogy which is better than having three vastly different covers. I didn't particularly love the cover, but it wasn't horrible either.

I hate to make this review so negative, but unfortunately it will be. Even thought I read The Scorch Trials recently, I had the hardest time getting back into the groove of remembering who all of the characters were. I think that throughout the whole book I had Theresa confused with Brenda and vice versa. There never really was a re-introduction or refresher as to who everyone was. I really needed it too!

The beginning of this book was slow. I came in hopeful that the book would be better than the Scorch Trials, but that hope was quickly squashed. It took FOREVER for me to finally get into the story (I would say about page 75). No book should take that long to catch an interest in my opinion. Now that I think about, all of the books in this trilogy had slow starts, but this one was worst of all.

I did genuinely like Thomas in this book. He grew so much through all of his experiences. In book one I thought of him as a boy, but now I think of him more as a manly figure. I still totally adore Minho. I love his feisty take on life and the true friendships he maintains. Brenda was just a meh character. She added a love interest, but wasn't really all that interesting. I was a bit upset that Theresa did not appear more in the book. I really like her also and the spice she adds to Thomas' life.

The middle of this book was not all that bad. It was the most interesting and action packed part. I absolutely breezed through it. Then I got to the end. I don't usually like to use the word hate, but I feel that is one of the best words to sum up my thoughts of the ending. I HATED it. It ended so abruptly and happily that it felt so out of place in this book filled with destruction. It didn't really feel like then end of a trilogy. I feel like it really could lead into another book(s).

Spoilers (highlight to read)-

I cannot believe they killed off Theresa! I really liked her! Now Thomas has no one to love on!

I really felt like the ending really should have been them not landing in some fantasy tropical paradise, but actually helping the world!

Oh, and I really wanted Thomas to get his memories back so I could finally learn about his past with Theresa. But alas, nothing ever happens the way I want it to.

Overall, I didn't like this book. I thought it was a poor ending to a somewhat okay trilogy and it lacked the spark to attract my attention. Quite honestly, the only reason I continued was because I didn't want to leave the last book unread.





 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design