Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Hello everyone! After dragging out my reading time, I have finally completed this book. I am ready to share my thoughts with you!

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Bk. 2)
Author-James Dashner
Published- October 12th, 2010
Delacorte Books
360 pages
Purchased on my own

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.


In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety . . . until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.


Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal.

The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?---Goodreads

I was so excited to read the next book in this series. I absolutely fell in LOVE with the Maze Runner and I was dying to get my hands on the next one. But, as always, the second book is never as good as the first. Let me start with what I liked about the book.

My liking of Thomas grew in this book. I felt he was easy to relate to in the first book, what with arriving in an unknown place and feeling scared. I felt scared right along with him. I found myself rooting for him in this book, hoping he made it out alive. I loved the complex relationship between him and Brenda. The minute I thought they were becoming close, that relationship was torn away.

I absolutely HATED Theresa in this book. Man did she make me angry! I'm sorry, but if I was forced to whack my friend with a spear and drag them across the desert I wouldn't do it. I guess I just did not attach to her the way I did in the Maze Runner. I found myself almost angry! Don't you hate that when a character gets you so worked up? Hopefully she changes her ways or I am a forever reformed Theresa hater.

One of the things that kept me at a slow reading pace for this book was the middle. Man oh Man was it slow! I dragged myself to the last third of the book kicking and screaming. I desperately wanted to pick up another book, but I decided to truck along. I am glad I did because the book definitely got better towards the end.

Spoiler (highlight to read)




Oh my gosh! I was reading along all caught up in the Gladers plus Jorge and Brenda running from the explosions. Then when Brenda and Thomas got separated I had a sinking feeling. I figured something like the non-nosed Cranks would show up. When they had to run and hide in the hole I was silently praying for them (no joke!) I was so relieved when the Cranks "left", but the minute that man grabbed onto Thomas I about jumped out of my skin! I was so not expecting that! Good job Mr. Dashner!

Of course Dashner leaves this book at an awful (good awful, not bad) cliffhanger which left me itching for the next book which is pending at the library. Hurry up people!

Oh, and did y'all know he is writing another book titled " The Kill Order", which is set to be released on August 14th, 2012. According to Goodreads, this book will be the prequel to The Maze Runner

Isn't the cover pretty!

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads-

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares seared the earth and mankind fell to disease. "The Kill Order" tells the story of that fall.

“The prequel is something that has churned in my mind since before "The Maze Runner" was even complete. It's been hard to keep it a secret! I'm excited to finally share the news and I can't wait for my readers to see how it all began," shared author James Dashner.

How exciting! Anyways, now that I have veered way off track. I will be giving The Scorch Trials 3 stars




-McKenna :)
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design