Monday, May 7, 2012

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

The Way We Fall
Author- Megan Crewe
Published- January 24th, 2012
Disney-Hyperion
309 pages
Obtained from the library

It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you’re dead.


When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.

Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.

Because how will she go on if there isn’t?--Goodreads

First off, the cover. I found it eye-catching, I mean, who doesn't notice a school-bus yellow book spine on a shelf of neutral spines? Does it really depict what the story was about? No, but it did a pretty darn good job of attracting me.

The whole time I was reading this book I had a horn going off in my head. I couldn't help but recall the details of Life as We Knew It, which this book reminded me of so much! I guess that killed the uniqueness of the book just a bit. Regardless, this book was still super interesting and unputdownable (did I just make up a word?)

I really liked Kaelyn, the narrator of this story. I don't know why, but I love the way she chronicles her ordeals through diary format. It made her easier to relate to. Instead of being just another protagonist, she became almost like a friend. And Gav. Ahhh, loved him! So romantic! I loved his lovability and drive to help the island in times of crisis. Who doesn't fall in love with the knight in shining armor?! The chemistry between him and Kaelyn was perfect to offset the constant death and destruction of the book.

I did find the book a little scary. If you really think about it, this could potentially happen some day. The fact that we are so susceptible to diseases is freaky. Who knows, ten years from now WE could all be quarantined to our houses because some deadly bacteria was formed by Australia. Who knows?

Overall, this book was faced-paced, romantic and creepy! The Way We Fall was well written and kept me entertained all the way through. I can't wait for the next book in the series. If you haven't already, check out The Way We Fall. You wont be disappointed!

I will be giving this book 4 stars!






-McKenna :)

PS- Listened to So Good by B.o.B and Boyfriend by Justin Beiber while I wrote this. I think I may be in love with both songs!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design