Friday, May 25, 2012

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

Something Like Fate
Author- Susane Colasanti
Published- May 4th, 2010
Viking Juvenile
268 pages
Obtained from PBS

Best friends Lani and Erin couldn't be more different. Lani's reserved and thoughtful; Erin's bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There's no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.
So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can't believe she feels such a deep connection with him--and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it's her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is the one person you can't have?-- Goodreads


Wow! I cannot believe I actually finished a book in one day. It has been so long since that has happened. I think my reading funk may have ended! Yay!

This book was a great take on a common teenage fiasco- a love triangle. More specifically a love triangle between your best friends boyfriend, your best friend and you.

The cover- This cover perfectly describes the content of the book. I love the "secretive" hand-holding in the background and the lovable couple in the foreground. They did a great job of keeping the cover light and colorful.

I really genuinely liked Lani as a protagonist. From the first page she presented herself to be a lighthearted teenager who is just trying to find her way in life. I LOVE characters that have flaws. She had quite a large flaw, especially after dating Jason, before she tells Erin.

Jason was such a sweet guy. I loved the connection between the two, especially over the summer before they dealt with Erin. He was the perfect example of an All-American guy. What a great love interest.

I really did enjoy the romance between Lani and Jason, even though in the back of my mind a siren was going off. Quite honestly, if this situation ever presented itself to me, I don't think I could go along with dating my best friends ex. That just seems wrong, especially if she never asked Erin beforehand. I do also question why Erin never had a suspicion about the relationship. Had she never heard the saying "While the cats away, the mice will play". That's what I would think....hmmm...I'll ponder that some more.

I do feel like the ending was rushed. In real life, the makeup between friends over something this devastating usually takes much longer than 3 weeks. Half the time they don't end up making up at all.  guess the author was looking for a way to end the book on a happy note. I would have been fine with the ending going either way.

Overall, I really enjoyed this cute, light book. It was a great pick for summer and a quick read. I definitely recommend it. I can't wait to pick up more of Mrs. Colasanti's books!

I will be giving this book four stars!





-McKenna :)



 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design