Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

Nerve
Author- Jeanne Ryan
Published- September 13th, 2012
Dial Books
304 pages
Received through ATW ARC Tours

A high-stakes online game of dares turns deadly

When Vee is picked to be a player in NERVE, an anonymous game of dares broadcast live online, she discovers that the game knows her. They tempt her with prizes taken from her ThisIsMe page and team her up with the perfect boy, sizzling-hot Ian. At first it's exhilarating--Vee and Ian's fans cheer them on to riskier dares with higher stakes. But the game takes a twisted turn when they're directed to a secret location with five other players for the Grand Prize round. Suddenly they're playing all or nothing, with their lives on the line. Just how far will Vee go before she loses NERVE?

Debut author Jeanne Ryan delivers an un-putdownable suspense thriller.
 
So, leading up to the release of this book, I had been hearing tons of buzz about this book. So, of course, when it showed up as an ARC tour I was quick to add my name to the list. I ended up finishing the book slightly disappointed, which was a tad bit upsetting.

I'm really not a huge fan of this cover. I can't really determine a connection between the cover art and the book unless it is Nerve's logo. Even then I am very meh about the cover. It is very monochromatic and boring to the eye, in my opinion.

The beginning of the story showed promise, which was really what kept me reading. I liked the theatre aspect of the story and the fact that Vee was just a normal teenager. But, once we got past the initial introduction the story went downhill..fast.

The characters were a part of the book that I really didn't care for. Vee was extremely hard to get to know and she is definitely not the type of girl I relate to, AT ALL. Ian, her love interest and Nerve partner, was not much better. He was not romantic in the least and I found that he often gave off an extremely douche-y persona. So yeah, he was a no go. We also got a very limited amount of time with any other people , so as far as characters go, this book was not for me.

Then, the plot. I found it to be slow, monotonous, and at times extremely boring. I really felt like I had the whole book solved from the start and I really didn't even get into the story. More like I skimmed over the surface and just tried to get it over with.

I feel like many extremely vital things were not explained in the book I was left with many unanswered questions by the conclusion. What was the real point of Nerve? Is it government run? How was it started?..The whole premise of Nerve was very vague.

Overall, Nerve was not for me. I didn't end up with heart-pounding-can't-wait-for-what-happens-next feeling like I was hoping for and ultimately I finished the book unsatisfied. I don't think I will be recommending Nerve to anyone any time soon.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design