Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why
Author- Jay Asher
Published- October 18th, 2007
Razorbill
288 pages
Swapped for on PBS

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.-- Goodreads
It's not very often that I read a book that actually makes me think. I read to get a break from everyday life. I love escaping into a whole new world and forgetting about mine for a while. When you get the chance to read a book that combines fluff and brains, you know you have a winner.

I have been hearing for a long time how fantastic this book really is, but never really felt like I should read it too. Then I read The Future of Us and decided to try out Jay Asher's other books. In enters Thirteen Reasons Why. Now I had the perfect reason to read a book I have been holding off on for so long.

Before I actually launch into my sappy thoughts on this book, let me discuss the cover. I think it is quite a captivating cover, even more enjoyed after finishing the book because I got the background story on Hannah Baker (the girl on the cover, I am assuming). I finally understood why swings were shown. I also like how they replaced the I and E with numbers 1 and 3.

Wow! I was totally not expecting the emotional roller coaster this book brought me on. I knew that it would be sad, but in no way did I think I would get this emotionally invested in one girl's story.

Clay was a great character to follow in this book. He was so rational about the tapes and it was crazy to see his reaction because it would have been completely different from mine. He seemed like such a sweet guy and I was so invested in his interest of the tapes that I hardly noticed there was zero romance in the book (well, besides in the tapes, which were really about Hannah not Clay).

I loved how the book bounced back and forth between the tape (Hannah speaking) and Clay's thoughts. I really showed another dimension to the story and added a completely unique way to tell the story. I did feel a little lost as to who was speaking at times, but it was usually while my mind was drifting thinking about all of the possible things that happen because of my words.

Thirteen Reasons Why really opened up a raw feeling for me. I had a close friend pass about a year and a half ago by complete surprise. I was sad yet interesting to compare my grief cycle to Clay's. I know that in my case, I would have loved to have heard my friends voice just one last time.

By the end of this book, my mind was reeling. It was weird to think that something I did or said today could really affect someone emotionally in their decision of life. That in itself scared me.

Overall, this book was a great read. I truly has changed my life and thought processes. I would recommend this book to anyone, just be prepared with tissues. It will be a complete eye-opener for you!


 
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design