Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author-Stephen Chbosky
Published- February 1st, 1999
MTV Books
213 pages
Obtained from PBS

Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This is the story of what it’s like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.--Goodreads
I should have known from the beginning that I probably wouldn't like this book. I hate to sound so negative about anything that I read and review. This book is no exception. I know this sounds horrible, but the only reason I really picked this book up was because it will be made into a movie with Emma Watson. Yep, feel free to shun me now.

Yeah so this cover was a no-go for me. Way too plain for my taste, even though I did kind of like the lime green cover. Hey, they've gotta attract readers somehow!

The minute I opened the cover of this book I knew I was in for it. The book is written in letter format (which I HATE for the record). But, I powered on because I am not a quitter :) We are acquainted with Charlie, a very average/ slightly boring freshman. And he begins to ramble about all of his issues. Then he meets up with the druggie crowd and begins to form friendships. He experiments and experiences everything, and I mean everything. Sex, rape, drugs, alcohol, gay and lesbian relationships, yadda yadda. You get the gist. By then I was so far into the book that I realized this story was so not my style. Throughout the book I began to feel burdened almost with all of the issues he presents. Totally not the book I was hoping it would be. Heck, I didn't even like any of the supporting characters.

So many people have loved this book, which makes me think that maybe I am too young to actually appreciate the story? Maybe I need to experience high school for myself to completely understand? Let's just say that for now I will not be recommending this book to anyone, even my worst enemy.

Overall, this book was a dud for me. No action, depressed emotions, and a completely screwed up kid. By the end of this book I was so ready to be done. Luckily I only wasted my time on a 200 page book.

Feel free to try it out for yourself. Hopefully you will like it better than me.






 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Feeling Carefree kit by Vera Lim Design